And back to Sarge again
After two days of attempting to solve the problems with Debian Sid I decided to delete the whole installation and revert back to Sarge again. The problem with the USB drive could be traced back to udev and the fact that a newer kernel needed to be installed. That’s what I did and upgraded the kernel from 2.6.8 to 2.6.18. With that came a full upgrade of Sarge to Sid again and when that was finished I had an inaccesible system again. Just like with Ubuntu. Why? Because Sid comes with a change in the xserver from xfree86 to xorg as well.
I did my Googling and asking around, but there doesn’t seem a clear solution to the issue. The boards are full of attempts, but nothing final. There were some posts that said that when it worked, it worked erratic. I don’t like erratic. I like stable.
For now I have to conclude that either the kernel or the xserver changes don’t go well with the iMac and that there is no easy solution in sight. So, while I am typing this the third network install of Debian Sarge is under way. That will leave me with quite a few dated packages, but I will give it a try to upgrade those on an application basis. As long as Synaptic doesn ‘t tell me it will uninstall gnome-development or do something with x there is little to worry about.